Bad weather can strike at any moment. Just as we work throughout the year to ensure we are prepared for what mother nature brings, customers must prepare as well. Safety is always our top priority and having a plan in place and being prepared is critical for customer safety.
Here are some helpful tips to help plan and prepare for an emergency:
- Gather emergency items to have on hand in case of a power outage.
- Stay away from any storm damaged electrical equipment, especially downed wires. Customers should always assume downed wires are energized and report the issue immediately by calling 1-800-841-4141.
- Keep a flashlight with fresh batteries on each floor of the home. Do not use candles or kerosene lamps as they can create a safety hazard.
- Identify an alternate location in case of an extended outage.
- Customers who rely on electricity to keep medicine refrigerated or medical equipment running should develop a plan to maintain health requirements during a power outage.
- If using a generator, review the manufacturer’s instructions for safe operation. Do not connect a generator directly to the home’s wiring. Never use a generator indoors or in any enclosed area.
- Follow the advice of local emergency management officials.
For more information and safety tips for what to do during and after a storm visit our Storm Readiness page.
Disclaimer: All images displayed in this content hub story are property of PECO. Permission is granted for these images to be reused on the condition that they are shared exactly as presented on the website, without any addition or modification.